The Fremantle Community Legal Centre provides legal information, advice and assistance to the community and limited representation regarding restraining orders at the Fremantle Magistrates Court.
All services are confidential and by appointment and include:
- Legal advice
- Financial counselling
- Tenancy assistance and Department of Housing information
- Welfare rights assistance
- Evening legal services on Wednesday evenings
Contact information and fees charged.
Our daytime solicitors can provide you with referrals, legal advice, minor assistance and limited representation in matters including:
- family law
- restraining orders
- minor criminal law
- criminal injuries compensation
- minor civil matters.
We have a duty lawyer service which includes some representation and follow up for the restraining order lists at the Fremantle Registry of the Magistrates Court. Minor assistance is provided in family law to assist in the drafting of documents for clients, who will be litigants in person. Evening Legal Services volunteer private solicitors provide advice on a range of matters.
We provide information about possible ways of dealing with financial problems and can assist you with:
- budgeting information
- information about government assistance
- debt negotiation and/or consolidation
- information on bankruptcy and consumer credit
- information and application for a no interest loan.
The welfare rights advocates' role is to assist people having difficulties with Centrelink. We can assist you with:
- direct negotiations with Centrelink
- information and advice about social security matters
- advice about appeal rights and the appeals system
- appeals preparation
- representing clients at the Social Security Appeals Tribunal and the Administrative Appeals Tribunal.
Our tenancy advocate provides assistance to tenants concerning a variety of issues. We can assist you, if you are involved in or need:
- general tenant information
- bond disputes/release of bond
- breaches of rental agreements
We are unable to provide advice to landlords.
Our evening legal service is staffed by volunteers and students, and provides a range of family and general law advice.
To make an appointment, call us and we will take your name, details and the type of legal issue you need advice on - you will then be placed on our waiting list. The rostered lawyer, who deals with your particular legal issue, will call you with an appointment time for that evening.
Our evening service is by appointment only and is available on Wednesday evenings from 5.00 pm.
Community legal education
Our staff can provide community education or community legal education in their areas of expertise.
For example, the lawyers give talks about wills, enduring powers of attorney, guardianship, and administration to community groups.
The following fees are charged for our evening legal service, daytime legal advice and tenancy appointments:
- waged - $18
- unwaged - no charge
The daytime fee is not discretionary. Tenancy appointments are free.
Fremantle Community Legal Centre
Shop 11, Queensgate Complex
10 William Street
Fremantle WA 6160
T 08 9432 9790
F 08 9432 9742